new staircase leads the visitor to the first floor of the arcade and
the spaces of the NEW TREASURY, with the exhibition from the Loreto
treasure. This collection of superb decorative artworks is, in addition
to the treasure of St Vitus Cathedral, the only one of its type
preserved in the republic.
most valuable piece, in both material and artistic terms, is the famous
Diamond Monstrance, made between 1696-99 in the Viennese workshops of
J. B. Khünischbauer and M. Stegner. The 6,222 diamonds decorating this
treasure were from the bequest of Countess Ludmila Eva Frances
Kolowrat. This treasure is rarely used in the liturgy today, only
for very exceptional occasions. The last time that pilgrims were able
to venerate the Body of Christ, exposed in the gloriole of shining
diamonds, was during a celebration in the autumn of 1999, 400 years
after the arrival of the first Capuchins in Bohemia.
sole Late Medieval work in the treasury is the silver gilded chalice,
with the date 1510 on the stem. This anonymous work is decorated with a
combined technique; judging by the formal arrangement and the selection
of saints used in the decoration, it is most likely a Bohemian work.
The basket (the actual body of the vessel) has six fields of
alternately blue and red enamel with linear half-figures of the saints,
Suffering Christ and the Virgin Mary; on the six-lobed base there are
relief, cast and finely chased half-figures. It cannot be ruled out
that this chalice, which Christoph Ferdinand Popel Baronet von
Lobkowitz gave to the Loreto in 1654, originally came from the treasury
of St Vitus.
of the most valuable pieces of the collection is the domestic altar
made of ebony wood, with a silver figural group of the Nativity of Our
Lord. The Bethlehem scene is set in the precise portal architecture,
with a series of silver miniature additions. The extension is decorated
with silver sculptures of the Pieta and Christ as the Salvator Mundi.
The work is marked with the coat-of-arms of the Mollart family, from
which Maria, married to Adam Gallus Popel von Lobkowitz, the mother of
Benigna Katharina von Lobkowitz, was descended. It is thus very likely
that the altar, as a family treasure, was donated to the Loreto by the
founder. The work bears the Augsburg mark AL and was clearly made by
the goldsmith Abraham Lotter the Younger, documented in Augsburg
between 1618-1625. (Comparable works have been preserved in the
treasury of the Residence at Munich.)
The special artistic copies of two pilgrim shields (badges) from the Loreto treasury are newly offered in our Museum Shop!
You can also order this silvered copper reliefs via e-mail.
these tiny reliefs are a new artistic hand made copies
of a traditional pilgrimage shields displaying Our
Lady of Loreto. They are made of silvered copper by
electroforming. The original shields from the end
of 17th century - which are exhibited in the Loreto
Treasury - are also made of silvered copper sheet, but
were embossed by stamping. The pilgrimage shields
were sewn on the dress (the bigger one) or hanged on
the rosaries (the smaller one).
Exceptional gift from the pilgrimage site Loreto Prague.
The pilgrim badges are offered in the luxury
solid wooden boxes.